Wednesday 6 November 2013

I've Had Doors Shut At My Face’ - Fast Rising Nigerian Musician

Well the truth is some of our musicians struggled to get where they are now, some didn't, some also try to justify they were born very wealthy by singing about poverty for us to think otherwise. Fast rising female musician, Sèyi Shay tells it all in an interview she had recently. see details below
When you arrived on the scene, a lot of people were concerned that you didn’t really start from the bottom of the food chain like everyone else. Do you think that it has been easier for you being that you had a lot of support from a platform that gave you the right push?
I started from the bottom. I started singing over ten years ago. I have slept in the studios countless days and nights. I have worked as a waitress, receptionist and other odd jobs. Just because I was raised in London people didn’t really get to see that side of my life. In a way, you can say I had it better than a lot of people back home, and that’s because of the territory I was raised in. At the same time, my ‘sufferation’ is different and it’s not like I didn’t suffer at all. I have had doors shut at my face. I have worked and struggled and hustled too
How would you describe your journey back home?
I left the UK early last year to come and explore the endless possibilities that this fertile nation has in store for me as regards music.
When my former girl-band dissolved, I knew that I wanted to continue doing music, I packed my bags and flew back to Nigeria where my parents are from. It hasn’t always been so easy but thank God that I met some really great people that shared my vision and they put me on. They gave me a platform and the tool to work with and to continue doing what I love to do. I started recording songs and doing shows and put the songs out and people just started to take to it. Over the past year I have had really good experiences and some terrible ones too. I have done so many shows for free, I can’t even count. And finally I’m starting to get paid for my shows now. The transition from the UK to US and to Nigeria was a blessed one, I can’t lie because it could have been worse or harder. I had good support-Sound Sultan, Flytime, they stood by me and gave me what I needed to get this far

No comments:

Post a Comment